About the Course
Explore the wonder of painting the Still Life with Sophie Newnham. Working with oils over the 10 week course we will be learning a range of techniques to get the best out of this beautiful medium. Suitable for beginners and beyond.
We will learn
- Flowers, fruit and everyday objects will be our inspiration as we learn how to observe, mark out tones and paint directly from life.
- Preparing the canvas.
- Painting in thinner tonal layers of colour. Strengthening tonal gradients and creating volume through shadow and light. Mixing a monochromatic palette.
- Composition- learning how to plan out, measure and place several objects within a space. Measuring angles, heights, widths and understanding negative space.
- Understanding colour theory and mixing the palette from marking out with thin layers to adding thicker layers of rich buttery oils.
-Gain confidence with colour application.
- Building up colour through impasto application. Learning how to create depth and definition.
- Fine-tuning and balancing out our paintings, looking at background vs foreground. Bring out highlights, add depth. Creating an overall balance to each composition.
- Creating a series of paintings from several compositions over the weeks.